Outfit: Isabel Marant Etoile Lexy jacket (similar here), Alexander Wang t-shirt, Zara pants (similar here and here) and ankle boots (similar here)
I've heard it all before. Age is just a number. To stay youthful, think young. blah blah blah. Leaping a decade from 20 to 30 was painless. Hitting the big 40 was a little different. My brain thinks 30, my body argues and promptly starts breaking down like a 10 year old Toyota Corona that has more than 300 000 miles on its speedometer. There's no point in fixing the engine or carburetor. You're better off with an overhaul. Just kidding.......BUT......let's face it, you know you've aged dramatically when:
1. you try to do a split and you hear a craaaaaaaaccck. And you howl in pain. You limp for months after. Reliving your teenage years was worth it. For all of 5 minutes.
2. you take prescription pills for this and that and that....
3. everyone from waiters to sales staff keeps calling you Madam, Ma'am, Madame...... pffftttt
4. your kid and her friends tell you "....you're like....like...REALLY REALLY old...." (the next time you lot come over for a play date, don't be too surprised if you're fed dog food )
5. your beautician tells you your skin is in fact, 10 years older than your actual age
6. your acupuncturist admonishes you for trying to do the impossible at the gym. "Marlene, you know you're not that young anymore. You're not that "elastic" " (refer to number 1)
7. you eat one mini cupcake and you exercise for 2 hours to burn off 50 calories.
8. you convince yourself that the many many many fine lines around your eye area is the result of a very very happy life. You can't stop smiling all day and night.
9. you can't catch your 7 year old when she's jogging and you're sprinting as if you're being chased by hounds.
10. you get on a roller coaster and you turn green instantly. The world continues to spin for hours after you get off.
11. you stand next to a group of teenagers and you cannot. understand. one. single. word. like. Totally.
12. you look at the cute One Direction boys and realize that you're old enough to be their mother.
** Do check out my first ever giveaway ( a beautiful personalized Monica Vinader Fiji Friendship bracelet). Click here for more information. If you feel particularly shy about popping your email address in the comment box, then make sure you check the results after the 9th March.
Photo credit: Lil L